Being a mother of 5 is not a challenge for me, it’s the alone time with my toddler, so this article is dedicated to him 🙂
Being a WAHM (work at home mom) I run into plenty of challenges with my toddler who is constantly moving around. I have designated a large wooden box for him to play in when he is using messy toys such as play dough, crafts and coloring. I am sharing what my toddler loves to do to hopefully give ideas to other moms who may benefit.
Please add you comments with more ideas for inspiration!
Here is a list of common activities my toddler loves to do that will keep him entertained for at least a couple hours if I time it right:
- Color in a book (although he doesn’t stay in the lines, or on the book!)
- Play dough with tools (a classic)
- Cut with special scissors that only cut paper (genius whoever created those)
- Look at books (this usually only distracts about 10 minutes)
- Play with toys (I keep the toys up high and let him choose 3 at a time so they rotate and he doesn’t get bored)
- Naps! Great time to focus, I even do some work on my iPhone while I lay him down.
- Play in the backyard (this is not always a good distraction for him because he is always wanting to interact with me and his findings, so this is more of a mommy and me moment)
- When I really need a moment to concentrate, as a last resort, I’ll put on a movie (I hate doing this because I don’t want him to get used to it)
Since I work at home, I like to make sure I get plenty of together time with the little one. I make sure that we do at least 3 outing a week. Here are some of the places we go:
- Park (we switch it up and are always trying new ones).
- Pump it up, which is an indoor bounce house fun zone. This one is fun for mama too
- Library, story time
- Pop in play time a young kids gymnastic center
Besides the outings, I take him for walks 5 days of the week in the early mornings.
What are your toddlers favorite activities? Please share.
Written by Audry Godwyn who is a woman of BloomEE and blogs over at A Nutritional Makeover